Whether you are miles into the backcountry, desert Hip Camp yurt, or Insta-worthy Airbnb perma-tent, inevitably there comes a time when you need to eat. For Chef Stephanie Tea, this is her moment to shine. Tea specializes in cuisine that showcases her Asian-American heritage, crafting recipes that make cooking Asian inspired food at home or outdoors approachable, fun and most importantly, delicious.
If you are looking to uplevel your camp – or glamp - cooking, we’ve got a recipe from the chef perfect for your next near or far away adventure. Enjoy cooking up Caramelized Shrimp Over Crispy Rice in the Stanley Even-Heat Camp Pro or Full Kitchen Base Camp Cook Sets and shaking a Lychee Margarita with Pop Rocks Rim (recipe below) in a Happy Hour Cocktail Shaker Set.
Take a tip from the chef and stay organized as you food prep with the Classic 10 qt Lunch Box, which can be used as a stylish and portable pantry for your cooking essentials like spices, sauces and more.
Caramelized Shrimp Over Crispy Rice
- 1 1/2 Lb shrimp with head on, deveined
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp palm sugar
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1/3 cup water + 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch, mix until dissolved
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Green onions for garnish
- Make sure to use shrimp with the shell on for maximum flavor, with or without the head (your preference). Remove shell, clean and devein the shrimp.
- In a fry pan, heat oil on medium heat and caramelize palm sugar until a deep amber color. Quickly add fish sauce and oyster sauce to stop sugar from burning or getting too dark.
- Add garlic and shallots and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp and mix until each shrimp is coated.
- Add chicken bouillon, black pepper, water and cornstarch mixture.
- Bring to a boil and add jalapeño, simmer for 3-4 mins or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Turn off heat.
- 2 cups cooked rice (preferably rice that has been cooked 1-2 days prior)
- Cooking oil
- Green onions, for garnish
- Use day-old rice and form and compress into desired shape like a flat triangle or square.
- Heat enough oil to thinly cover the entire fry pan.
- Pan fry rice until lightly golden brown on both sides.
- Set aside.
Serve Caramelized Shrimp Over Crispy Rice and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
Lychee Margarita with Pop Rocks Rim
For the Pop Rocks Rim
- 1 part Pop Rocks candy
- 1/2 part salt mixture for rim
- Honey for Pop Rocks to stick to cup
- 3 oz tequila
- 2 oz triple sec
- 1 1/2 oz lime juice
- 3 oz lychee juice, from can
- 1 oz simple syrup
- Mint leaf
- Coat rim of with honey and dip rim into Pop Rocks and salt mixture. Set
- Fill with ice, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, lychee juice and simple syrup. Shake well.
Divide drink into tumblers, garnish with lychee and mint, and enjoy!