Although the hike is the main event, trailgating can definitely amp up the fun factor of your adventure. It’s just like tailgating—except the great outdoors become your football stadium. Before your hike, get powered up and hydrated with a party at the trailhead. And then reward yourself for your elevation accomplishment with a post-hike celebration.
BUT BEFORE YOU GO
- Keep an eye on the weather: If things look iffy, you might want to take a raincheck on the hike.
- Know the conditions: Avoid disappointment and check reports for trail conditions and closures.
- Gear up: Even a short afternoon hike calls for some must-have items. The National Park Service offers a list of 10 essentials to pack.
- Plan the menu: If you’re hiking with friends, decide on who’s bringing what. (Read on for some tasty recipes.)
- Get comfortable: Pack some folding chairs and maybe a table so you can spread out while you nibble and sip.
- Chill in advance: Give your Stanley cooler a head start by pre-cooling it with an ice block or bag of ice.
NOW, ON TO THE RECIPES
Trail mix and protein bars are all well and good during your hike. But we think a trailgate gathering calls for something a little more interesting.
CRICKET PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Cricket powder has a mild flavor and is packed with protein.
- 12 grams chocolate protein powder
- 6 grams cricket protein powder
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut chips
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 cup frozen fruit of choice: bananas, blueberries, cherries, mango, or pineapple
- 2 cups cold water
- 10 ice cubes
HIBISCUS + HERB REFRESHER
Chill with this super-cool kombucha recipe.
- ½ cupkombucha (we love Revive Hibiscus Refresher Kombucha)
- ½ small lemon, juiced (about 2 tsp)
- Handful of blueberries (about 8 berries)
- 3 mint leaves
- 3 basil leaves
Fill the Adventure Happy Hour Cocktail Shaker halfway with ice. Add ingredients and shake for 10 seconds. Serve without straining (include ice cubes). Top with more kombucha.
STANLEY’S SIGNATURE BACON GUACAMOLE
Avocado and bacon. Two of our favorite ingredients.
- 2 large peeled and pitted avocados, mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 strips fried bacon, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- In a medium size bowl, mix together avocado, lime juice, cumin, and salt and pepper.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients and chill for 1 hour.
- Transfer dip to the Adventure Stainless Steel All-In-One Food Jar for transporting and serving. (The food jar will keep the dip cold for 12 hours.) Serve with chips, pita or veggies.
EASY CAMP TACOS
You can make these ahead or whip them up at the trailhead.
- Ground meat of your choice
- Packet of taco seasoning
- Cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Tortillas (corn, flour, or you can do a lettuce wrap to cut down on carbs)
- Lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced
- Season your ground meat with taco seasoning.
- Add cooking oil to the stock pot from the Adventure Even-Heat Camp Pro Cook Set and cook the ground meat until browned.
- In the cook set’s frying pan, sauté the onion and pepper. Add to the ground meat in the stock pot and stir.
- Use the frying pan to warm the tortillas (optional).
- In each tortilla, place a scoop of the ground meat mixture. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and guacamole.
If making ahead, you can transport the ground meat mixture in the Adventure Stay-Hot Camp Crock.